Energy & Environment
The world’s impact on energy and the environment is rapidly evolving in the 21st century. With over 50 years of combined experience in the complicated energy and environment arenas, outstanding relationships with all the relevant congressional committees, administration agencies and other key policymakers, as well as in-depth knowledge of how the energy and environmental industries operate; the Energy & Environment Team of Troutman Sanders Strategies (TSS) is uniquely capable of delivering the prowess that these industries command.
The team upholds a substantial record of success related to energy and environmental policies and regulatory matters related to drinking water, water pollution, all clean air issues, endangered species, renewables and utilities.
Our representative experience includes, but is not limited to major public water supply and water pollution agencies, cities and counties particularly in western U.S. and large utility companies. Members of the team have been deeply involved in major environmental issues over the last several decades, as well as every appropriations issue that affects water and infrastructure.
We maintain relationships and communicate daily with key government organizations, policymakers and their staffs at both the federal and state levels, on issues important to our clients. These relationships extend to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Energy (DOE), Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Senate Energy Committee, and House Energy and Commerce Committee, among others and their various state counterparts.
Over the years, the team successfully supported clients’ initiatives including:
- Achieved the only permanent exemption to the Clean Water Act for a Texas utility without compromising environmental standards
- Developed the largest appropriations stream for any flood control project in the country
- Clarified water rights for major CA city
- Obtained millions in research funds focused on end users of ethanol
- Assisted in the development and passage of 2005 and 2007 energy bills
- Prepared clients for oversight hearings before various congressional committees
- Secured passage of legislation authorizing municipal corporations, who own and operate electric utility systems, to contract to buy power from other entities