Troutman Sanders Strategies (TSS) specializes in providing strategic counsel to a broad range of clients across many fields and industries. Whether the issue is related to tax reform or state tax incentives, our Taxation Team works steadfastly to deliver innovative solutions to help clients navigate through the complex web of tax policy before all bodies of government.
We support the interests of numerous clients on tax policies, including a biotech company, international retailer, trade association for credit services, the largest trade associations for the U.S. rice and cotton industries, manufacturing companies with international production, and financial services companies. We also represent public utilities on tax exempt financing issues, the world leader in privatized correctional and detention management, a Virginia-based non-for-profit arts coalition, an issuer of private label credit card debt, international manufacturer, distributor and marketer of soft drinks, and an association dedicated to publishers of video and computer games.
Our recent successes include:
- Obtainment of a tax credit for renewable fuels industry via 2007 energy bill
- Achievement of research and development tax credits for multiple companies
- Passage of HB 1100, which increased the income tax credits for film and digital productions from 9 percent to 20 percent, in the 2008 Georgia General Assembly
- Amendment of a House bill that would allow an issuer of private label credit card debt to claim the state income tax deduction for bad debts they receive on a return filed by an affiliate
- At the state level in the last few years, we have successfully modified the corporate income tax code to favor businesses located within Georgia and acquired income tax credits for film and digital productions in the state on behalf of a major studio and trade association.
Our relationships with the Chairmen and members of the House Ways and Means Committee, Senate Finance Committee and Commerce Department have proved to be invaluable.